Tuesday 10 March 2009

{Beauty Tuesday}: Cleansers Tried & Tested

With all the great interviews I thought it's time for me to contribute, this week it's cleansers and eye makeup removers. A little about my skin: I have Normal/Combination skin, normal in A/W and more combination in S/S, not especially sensive, main problems are large pores (oily skin in teenage years), dark circles, skin not quite even-toned (cheeks are especially pale/pink and doesn't tan at all!).

First a little guide to the ratings:
- Extremely amazing! A product with a 5 star rating is one which I will buy again and again and have made an obviouse improvement to my skin.
- Great product, will buy over and over again
- Good product, might buy again, say it was Gift Time or something
- Works fine, but nothing special, won't buy again unless it's in the sale & money is tight!
- Works ok, could be better, won't be buying again
- Do not like at all, definitely won't be buying again

Vichy Anti-Dull Skin Foaming Cleansing Water
The instant foaming makes it quicker to wash so great in the mornings! Works fine but nothing too special, cheaper than the Lancome one though. Would buy again.
Bodyshop Tea Tree Oil Foaming Face Wash
This one is great for oily skin, treats spots and yet not too harsh on the skin.
Lancome Clarifying Self-Foaming Cleanser
Again the instant foam is quick but the more expensive price is not really reflected in the quality.
Clarins Gentle Foaming Cleanser with Cottonseed

Great cleanser, not a great amount of foam but cleanses really well but doesn't leave the skin feeling too tight, but it does hurt a lot if you get it in the eyes!
Estee Lauder Perfectly Clean Foaming Cleanser
Not a lot of foam, not harsh but it doesn't feel like it gives the skin a good clean, not great value for money either.

Clinique Wash-Away Gel Cleanser
I used a 30ml sample size rather than the full size but for me the gel texture is not foaming enough (I love foaming cleansers) and it leaves the skin feeling a bit too tight after.
Clinique Rinse-Off Foaming Cleanser
One of my favorite cleansers, lots of foam, cleansers very well & leaves the skin feeling soft and comfortable.
Origins Checks and Balances™
Jointly one of my top favorites, very similar to the Clinique Foaming Cleanser. I would probably prefer this just a tab.
Botanics Moisturising Deep Clean Foam


Most evenings when I come home the first thing I do is to make off my makeup with a cleansing fluid, and later on wash with a foaming cleanser.

Lancome Gentle Cleansing Fluid
A bit thin in the texture but feels the skin feeling soft and not too tight, the fragrance is a little weird for me though.
Dior Cleansing Gelee
The texture is a little thick, leaving the skin feeling slightly greasy, slightly expensive too.
L'Oreal Visible Radiance Cleansing Milk
I love this product, does the job, smells nice, leaves the skin feels soft & comfortable, and great value for money!
Bodyshop Vitamin E Cream Cleanser
Cheaper than the Dior and Lancome but the cream leaves the skin feeling a little dry.
Clinique Facial Soap with Dish

Couldn't fit the image in the previous two sections so it's here, I just find it's too harsh on the skin, cleanses great but my skin felt so dry afterwards and for that price it's not worth it at all.

Clarins Gentle Eye Make-Up Remover Lotion
Clarins Instant Eye Make-Up Remover
I actually prefer the 1st one as the 2nd is a little greasy and doesn't cleanse better than the 1st.
Lancome Bi-Facil Eye Make-Up Remover
My first eye make-up remover and it was a great choice, not greasy, takes off waterproof mascara really well, if only it was cheaper!
Dior Duo-Phase Eye Make-Up Remover
A little disappointed with this, it can't compare to the Lancome version at all! Hence only the 3 star.
L'Oreal Dermo Expertise Gentle Eye Make-Up Remover
This is a great product, I actually prefer this version than the two layer version, refreshing and definitely not greasy, a great price tag too! I do love the Lancome one but if cash is short then this one does just as a good job!


Right, hope you found that useful, now I am very excited to share with you a sneaky peek at the gorgeous new line by the talented Mary Jo Matsumoto:

How fabulous is that faux fur bolero? The black sequin & ultrasuede clutch is so elegant too! and I wish I have the model's legs! ;)

Sorry I'm a little behind replying to comments but I will catch up with you all tonight :)

(beauty product images from stated links, fashion image from Mary Jo)

62 comments:

Couture Carrie said...

That bolero really rocks!

And I love this post and the rating system - so fabulously informative, darling!

xoxox,
CC

Dionne said...

Thanks for the heads-up on the CLinique. I have never used it, but if you find it too harsh to use, that's good enough word for me to not even bother with it.

paula said...

I love the clinique cleanser. one of the only brands that doesn't make my skin go nuts.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you posted this! I have been trying to find a new makeup remover, without any luck. I will def. try the L'oreal visible radiance cleansing milk.Thanks again, girlie!

Would you happen to know any good hyper-allergenic face masks?

Ida said...

Lovely post! I love Clarins.

Tina { Luphia Loves... } said...

oh, just wanted to say obviously these are just my experiences, I'd highly recommend that if you want to try something but not sure about it, ask for a sample! :)

xx

Marie said...

Wow Tina...that's an awesome review. Just like you I pretty much used all those cleansers, and my fav and has been for the last few years is Clarins (all products). It's pricey but worth it. I'm 43 and I have young looking skin or at least I'm told(sorry to brag)! Or maybe I'm blessed with that asian skin like yours ;)
-marie

♡ Nic Nic ♡ said...

damn thats a lot cleanser youve used! Im using the lancome bi-ficils makeup cleanser it's pretty good. You should give cleansing oils a go!

Diane said...

Wow, this was very helpful and thorough! I'm always on the lookout for the right face wash to try because I can never find one that's just right. Thank you for sharing this and giving your opinions!

And that faux fur bolero is very chic. It's hard to find a faux fur one!

carolina @ patagonia gifts said...

Fabulous post! Thanks for all the tips! I adore that bolero!
xoxo

Christina said...

great tips-very thorough. i need a new eye makeup remover but i'm loyal to my philosophy (purity) facial wash:)

DaisyChain said...

Aw, thank you for the lovely comment (no, I'm not a model, but thank youuu!)
I love this post, I'm looking for a new cleanser so it's helped a lot!

Diana said...

I love everything the Body Shop makes! I'll try the Tea Tree Oil face wash!

Michelle Parks McCourt said...

Love all the info on the beauty products! And the bolero is fab.

May Kasahara said...

I love Origins Checks & Balances too!
Great reviews!

LITTLE PLASTIC HORSES said...

I like your rating system :)

William Street Store said...

mmm I love Vichy. I was working as an au pair in germany and the mother was the product manager of L'Oreal so she always got free goodies and passed all the fabulous vichy products onto me, i am now addicted.

Great post doll xx

christina said...

I came over today specifically to check out the fur bolero (fantastic!) but I was so excited to read your reviews as well. I recently tried the Laura Mercier cleansing oil. It was horrible. No matter what the salesgirl said, washing your face with oil is not a good thing to try!

Pamela said...

lovee the bolero!!!!!!!!
nice pic!!
xxxxxxxx

Fashionology said...

I love the fur Bolero!!! <3

Anonymous said...

I'm having some terrible trouble with face products right now, but I might try out some of the ones you've recommended!

Thanks!

Aline said...

Wonderful post...thank you for the reviews!

Anonymous said...

Love this post-such a thorough review! I'm so glad you decided to start this series-I've been following along every week.

I'm partial to Clinique-I also used the eyemakeup remover and love how gentle and soft it is!

Anonymous said...

thanks so much for the reviews! I love Clarins eye makeup remover but try out the lancome one...also, LOVE LOVE anything by origins :-) great post!

Agnes Deer said...

That bolero is really something plus is faux fur :)

Unknown said...

Thanks so much Tina for posting about my new line! You are so sweet and I appreciate all your support!

xo Mary Jo

Marietta said...

great review, thanks!

Julia said...

This was such a good idea! Loved the little hearts :) So helpful!

Francesca Tan said...

Wow very useful post! Im def bookmarking this page down! Thanks hunny xx

kimvee said...

I wish had that model's legs too! HAHA

Mode Junkie said...

props to you for trying these all out. i am scared to experiment with my face. it's sensitive and yeah. i just love obagi and stick to it. haha.

CestLaVy said...

whoa, huge review! i'm gonna pick up loreal's eye makeup remover. since $21 for lancome bifacil isn't doable as much as i would love it to. hahaha thanks!

prettyneons said...

Hello's Oh make up remover it's useless I find, so these tips of yours is much needed (for me anyways)
I tend to just use vaseline or nivea for anything and everything!
Peace and Bows...
PrettyneonsX

Andrea Eames said...

Hello lovely lady!

I have linked you. :)

A xxa

erika sorocco said...

Your rating system is adorable - I love the little hearts. I'm also thinking about using a make-up remover now that I've read this - even though I usually just use Vaseline and water!

Blair Friedeman said...

wow-that is one exhaustive list!! And definitley one I will consult again when I get purchase my next cleanser:) Thanks tina. xx

evencleveland said...

Great post!

And I agree with you about that model's legs - yowza.

Sometimes, I wish I wasn't such a shortie.

Rebecca said...

good post, i like the rating system ermm yes swop links definatly,xxx

drollgirl said...

hmmmmmmm. i may have to try some of your pics!

Kasey said...

love the ratings!!!

Jenny - pygmeestyle.blogg.se said...

I too like the loreal eye make up remover, it's really great!

trishie said...

I looooooove Clinique's self foaming cleanser...it's my skin saver!

starbrained said...

:O I officially love your blog! This is all SO HELPFUL. You have no idea. I'm completely clueless about most of this. Thank you!

carolyn said...

thank you for commenting back! I love my kitty :)

And I love that polaroid!!! I have yet to find a fur jacket that I'm fully in love with but that just might be the one....
and thanks for the cleanser rating- I'm trying to find a good routine and I could use all the advice I can get!

The Voguette said...

ah, this is a fantastic post - i was just contemplating new facewash as my neutrogena is running low!

I think im gonna give the body shop clenser a shot!

Shini said...

my this is good. I never know what comes first and after in skincare and now I know what will remove my makeup best! THanks so much, I have this clinique biased bathroom (just skincare:P) but great to know of other products too!! THanks so much :D The fur bolero is awesome, I wish I was 'fierce' (or just have enough guts) to wear something like that...

Anonymous said...

I have tried the Clinique face products and unfortunately, I don't really like them that much. I stick with Neutrogena products because surprisingly they have worked best for my skin.

queenyee said...

Thanks for all the information about cleansers and removers, definitely helps me a lot in deciding which one to try :P

You have tried all of them before? Which skin type are you? :)

K8 said...

Lovely,
I really need to go buy a cleanser for my face!

jessica said...

wow, that outfit is killer . i wish i were wearing it right this second .. along with her legs .

& i've always heard that lancome bi-facil was the hands-down best eye makeup remover around .
i guess it wasn't a myth !!


x

Kelly said...

great post! i was thinking its time to switch up cleansers for spring! this definitely helped out

Amelia said...

I could definitely use a new cleanser. Nice post.

Oh, and I'd love to exchange links. I just linked you :)

Ellie Lee said...

Love this post! Was actually wondering if there were a cheaper alternative to the Lancome Bi Facil Eye Make Up Remover; and voila! I'm convinced by the prowess of Loreal's!

MizzJ said...

Great post! Very thorough and detailed :)

kou-kou said...

I am from [greece.I love your blog The products that you propose they is perfect.Thanks!

Unknown said...

For ages and ages I thought my Dior Cleansing Gelee was a moisturiser!!! So I was carting it around on holiday, applying it on my face like lotion on the airplane, putting it on my hands....and then I actually READ the damn text on the bottle and realised it was a face wash. DUH!

This is an amazingly comprehensive post, Luphia!

A BIT COQUETTISH said...

Fabulous, fabulous post! I love your ratings; I definitely trust your reviews! I'll try some of these products soon!

Bisous,
La C.

Velvet and Linen said...

Wow, that is one hot photo, Tina.
I love that jacket. Mary Jo has done it again!

xo
Brooke

Larissa said...

Lush bolero

Great cleanser reviews, if i could afford Clinique i'd give it a try

x

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

You forgot my favourite. Cetaphil!! Inexpensive and, at least for me...and I have sensitive skin...wonderful!

Samantha said...

amazing outfit lady =^.^=

michelle said...

thanks for the info. i don't have exactly the same skin type as you, but it's good to know

{ A lifestyle blog }

Based in London art|decor|fashion|travel ♥

hello lovely readers :)

Subscribe

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Sponsor

NET-A-PORTER UK

Our Banners

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 

Luphia loves... Copyright © 2008-2014 All Rights Reserved. Original Template by Ipietoon. Modified by Luphia Studio.