Hello everyone or should I say: Good morning to those of you in the US, Canada & South America, Good Afternoon to those in Europe & Africa and Good Evening to those in Asia & Australia, ok did I get that right? ;)
Today's Beauty Tuesday Interview is with the ever so talented, stylish and lovely Anne Sage from The City Sage. Not only does Anne have the best taste, she writes so beautifully too, and her posts are truely a joy to read.
Q: Could you give us a summary of your experience with beauty products?
I am an absolute product junkie. I recently moved house and had to get rid of boxes and boxes of lotions and potions that I had bought, used half of, and then tired of. I love trying new products, and I'm always mixing up my routine---perhaps even to the detriment of my skin. But going to a store like Sephora really is the adult version of a candy store, and who doesn't love candy?
Q: What is your skin type and what do you look for in skincare products?
I think my skin type is best described as 'confused'. I break out at the drop of a hat, but I also get red, dry and flakey quite easily. The worst part is that products designed to treat one issue seem to exacerbate the other, so I'm on an eternal hunt for a magic elixir that will keep my skin clear, smooth and hydrated.
Q: What is your top beauty secret or product?
1. My top beauty secret? Get a good facialist. I'm not talking about someone who will massage you into a relaxed state; I mean find an aesthetician who pokes and prods your skin into submission and then puts you on a strict home regime. I go to Polina at Flying Beauticians in San Francisco. When I told her I was a little bit scared of her she said, 'Good!' Because I'm on a tight budget I haven't had a facial in a while, and it really shows; my skin looks and feels so neglected
Q: Name 3 other favorite skincare products and why?
1. Farmaesthetics Fine Herbal Cleanser- I can't live without my mid-day face wash. I start to feel so grimy around 2 pm and I just want to splash it all away! That's why I love this cleanser—it leaves your skin feeling fresh and rejuvenated, but it's still gentle enough for frequent use. The scent is like rubbing your nose in an herb garden, and trust me that's a good thing!
2. Astara Daily Refining Scrub- I've had microdermabrasion only once, and I couldn't believe how soft and glowy it made my complexion. When I tried this scrub, I was thrilled to discover that it's the next best thing to a $300 spa treatment! It buffs away even the most stubborn dull spots with a blend of lactic acid and diatomaceous earth from the depths of the sea, then soothes with comfrey, chamomile and aloe. I will definitely be replacing this scrub when I use it all up—the true test of how great a product is!
3. Naturopatica Environmental Defense Mask- I adore masks; they're like bringing a little piece of the spa into your home. The ingredient list on this one reads more like a gourmet meal than like a skincare product; extracts of black cherry, pomegranate, tomatoes and red wine leave your pores feeling expunged of every possible toxin. It's a little pricey so I've been applying this mask sparingly for the past 18 months, but I just used my last blob over the weekend and it was a sad moment indeed!
Q: If you wear makeup, what are your top 3 favorite products?
1. Chantecaille Future Skin Foundation- I'm a big fan of make-up that also benefits your skin, and this one takes top prizes in my book. An oil-free gel forumulation with extracts of sea botanicals, it blends immediately, never looks cakey or shiny, and feels like a quenching drink for your skin. My face almost audibly sighs when I brush on this foundation.
2. Clinique Almost Make-up- On days when I don't want the coverage of a full foundation but my skin isn't clear enough to go out bare faced, I reach for Clinique's Almost Make-up. It subtly evens out my skin tone, yet unlike a tinted moisturizer it doesn't give me the greasies. As well, I appreciate the extra layer of SPF 15 protection.
3. NARS Lip Gloss/Lip Stain Duo- This is an awesome bang for your buck: wear the stain or the gloss alone, or pair them together for a completely different effect! NARS does color so beautifully, and the shades here are no exception. I especially love the Turkish Delight/Sayonara duo. The former is a Dusty Springfield mod nude pink, and the second is like a rosier, healthier version of your own lip color. But really I could shop everything at the NARS counter for hours!
Q: (optional) Are there any other products that you love but have not mentioned above?
Are there any other products that you love but have not mentioned above? I feel like the products I haven't mentioned could fill an encyclopedia! But a few that I swear by include:
1. Origins Organics Silkening Body Spritz- Spray this essential oil blend on your legs after you shave—you will feel like the sexiest creature on earth. It contains clove and rose oils, and the scent is what I imagine a medieval courtesan would have smelled like.
2. Neutrogena Sunless Tanning Spray Micro Mist- I am extraordinarily pale by nature and need help to feel confident wearing shorts in the summer. In the past I used a Clarins self-tanner but it was expensive and I had to wander the house naked and sticky while I waited for it to dry. Thank goodness for Neutrogena! Their spray tanner gives a really convincing glow, it dries on contact, and the spray applicator lets you target those hard to reach spots. What's more, the application is 100% hands-free: no more orange knuckles!
3. Glysomed Hand Cream- I spend several hours a day in the kitchen, which means I wash my hands a lot. This is the only cream that heals my dry, cracked cuticles, and it's very reasonably priced. Plus the cute packaging is such a terrific homage to Swiss International Style. I feel very design-y when I see it on the windowsill next to my sink. It's not available in the U.S. as far as I know, so I have my mother-in-law ship it to me in bulk!
Thanks so much Anne for sharing your beauty secrets! The Origins Silk Spritz and the Chanteaille Foundations sounds devine, who doesn't want to feel like the sexiest creature on earth right? ;)
(images from corresponding links)